DIY Side Tables: From Boring Brown to Flashy Ikat

September 21, 2012
I've had the urge to paint the side tables in our living room for quite a while. I don't like how much brown we have in the space: the tables are brown, the sofas are brown, the bookshelf is brown, the floor is brown...brown, brown, brown!

I finally took the plunge a little while ago, and set to work wiping them down with a wet cloth to get any stickiness off of them. Then carried them into the garage -- the strong woman that I am -- and started spray painting them white. I wanted to freshen up the place.


My first mistake was white on brown, and my second mistake was the spray paint -- or perhaps no primer? Regardless, it took about four or five coats of paint to make them all glossy and purdy.

I then set to work painting the tops. I didn't want some plain white tables, I wanted something unique...something with funk. After seeing a tutorial on The Nate Berkus Show -- which doesn't exist anymore and I couldn't find for the life of me -- I decided that I wanted to paint a piece of furniture with an ikat pattern.



Well, I attempted an ikat pattern anyway. I wasn't too sure about the paint job that I had done after taking the tape off, but it has grown on me. I actually really like it, and find it quite unique. Besides, I can always paint over it :)



I think it looks a lot more fresh than it did before. It really pops out of all that brown!


Have you done any fun DIY projects recently?





2 comments

  1. Crikey! It looks brilliant! Glad all the hard work paid off. You have been busy - what with this and the brilliant new packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha! I haven't been that busy...this project was done about a month ago :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Powered by Blogger.