Weight Update: The Food Journal

June 01, 2012
 Your BMR + calories burned - calories eaten = calories saved that day.

When I asked a friend of mine -- who is a body builder -- how to go about losing weight, he sent me a link that led me to this website. At first I was shocked to find out that I needed to save 3500 calories in order to lose one pound of weight. It seemed like a lot of work just for one little pound. A. Lot. But I quickly started learning about food journaling in order to keep track of how much I was actually eating.

I had heard about keeping a food journal before, but I never thought much of it. What I discovered on the first day of trying to lose weight, as you see in the image above, is that I am great at maintaining my weight, but not so much with the losing it. I have never had to lose weight before, and so it has been an entirely different world to me.

I quickly learned that I should be watching the portion size of my food, and what types of food I should be eating in order to stay full longer, lose weight, and stay healthy -- which is the most important thing. I have realised that I don't need to eat two tacos to be satisfied, one is enough, and although I become hungry a couple of hours after eating supper, I have started eating fruit and drinking a glass of water instead of eating ice cream and drinking a can of coke.

"Don't you miss the sweets?" You ask.

To be honest, not really. I guess it is just my time to do this, and I'm not going to stop until I get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm able to say no to certain things, but at the same time, I am able to say yes to them without going crazy. Yesterday afternoon, I ate two pieces of licorice, but, after that, I was satisfied and I didn't want any more. Last Saturday, I cut myself a small piece of cake, and after that -- you guessed it -- I was satisfied.

I find it so strange that I have such amazing will power at this moment, but, like I said earlier, I think it's just my time to do this, and my body and mind are working together to make it happen. Last Saturday, when I stepped on that wretched scale, I had already lost 3lbs. It felt so unbelievably good, amazing, fantastic, wonderful -- insert happy word here -- to see a different number, and know that my hard work is paying off. 



I'm not suffering, I'm learning how to take care of my body and become me again. I also know that I lost three of those bad boys that you see in the photo there. It's gross, I know, but it really helped me to visualise how much weight I actually lost.

I feel good! -- insert James Brown song.



8 comments

  1. that is awesome, congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad for you...keep up the good work! Later I'll share some of my current struggle and the wins made. Dessert will look different Sunday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have to be different, I just won't eat as much :)

      Delete
  3. this is GREAT!! I was really surprised to see how many calories were in bread and rice! Not something I was aware of at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really surprised too. Needless to say, I don't eat as much rice at one time anymore. It's really hard for a rice addict like me :)

      Delete
  4. You seem to be doing great on your own, but may I suggest taking a look at www.myfitnesspal.com? I find it's really easy to track your food and exercise on it - it's what I've used for the last 1.5 years!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Powered by Blogger.