Flock & Gather: My Treasures

April 16, 2012
On Saturday, my son and I went to our very first handmade market. It was very exciting to see so many amazing artists in one place -- I wish I had had more money with me. I really enjoyed walking around looking at all of the handmade goods. Some of them I didn't need -- like little girl hair accessories -- but it was so neat to see the materials up close and not have to imagine what they were like -- like on Etsy.

I first learned about the Flock & Gather Handmade Market from a friend of my mom who knows someone that is involved with the collective.  She told me that I should contact him to find out when the next handmade market was, and try to get in so I could sell my cards and art prints. I did some internet sleuthing instead, and found the blog for Flock & Gather -- that's is also when I found out that I was too late to be in the upcoming market.

Walking around the market, though, I kind of wondered how my items would sell. I mean, there were some really fantastic artists selling their goods there. I feel like I have a bit more evolving to do before I would even begin to feel comfortable selling at a handmade market. It's also about how you present everything too, some of the artists did a really great job of that. So great, in fact, that I ended up buying something -- I mean a few things.



The first table I stopped at, called Coucou Salut, had some neat little t-shirts, onesies, stuffed creatures, and other screen printed and hand sewen items for sale. The artist used old trunks and suitcases to showcase all of the items. It was a really great setup. I had seen her artist profile on the Flock & Gather blog and knew that I wanted to get something from her shop. I ended up purchasing the sweet little shirt that you see in the photo above for my little boy. He won't be able to wear it for quite a while, but I'm sure it won't mind waiting.



The next table that I stopped at was the table of Carol Epp. I discovered her work on Etsy, at her shop called The Untrained Eye, while perusing my local artists. I also saw her artist profile on the Flock & Gather blog and immediately recognised her work. I was really excited that she was going to be there as shipping can tend to be a bit expensive on items like hers. I picked up this little cup for my son to use when he gets a bit older, as she mentioned that she makes the cups a bit thicker for younger children to be able to use them -- they stand up to table banging. She even said that I could contact her if I wanted her to make a matching plate!



The final table that I stopped at had me completely enamoured -- I had seen her artist profile, but it didn't do her justice. Shauna Buck has the most fun, whimsical illustrations. I had selected a couple of buttons/badges that I wanted, as well as another print -- it was a shark wearing clothes kicking a soccer ball -- but had already run out of most of my monies. So I decided to purchases this trio of little prints. Aren't they fun? I mean, come on, who wouldn't be sucked in by birds wearing hats. She is going to be at an artists market next weekend, so I'm going to hunt her down to get those buttons!



I had a lot of fun at Flock & Gather. It was so hard to be really choosey about what I bought -- it helped that a lot of the artists only took cash. I am definitely going to keep my eyes open for more local handmade markets. I think you should too :)





4 comments

  1. what wonderful items you found...very talented artists. I feel the same way you do about selling my art just yet in markets. I want to but it scares me a little...hmmm i think i know what to write about in my next blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a perfect idea for a blog post! Can't wait to read it :)

      Delete
  2. Um, in love with that whale mug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very awesome treasures :) I love shopping handmade and farmers markets!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Powered by Blogger.