Our Oldest Boy

September 22, 2011
I have introduced you to the newest addition to our family, but have not yet introduced you to my oldest boy.

His name is Ivan. He enjoys long walks, a good belly scratch, and cookies :)

I grew up with animals in my home, and knew that as soon as my husband and I purchased our own place that I would be visiting the local SPCA to find us a dog.

I found two dogs that I was really interested in, and was told that I could take them each out to a field to see how they would react with me. The first dog was way too young and excited, and, sadly, I knew that we wouldn't be able to handle that kind of dog. The second dog that I took out to the field amazed me. He found a ball amongst the tall grass in the field. I knew that I had to have that dog.

We didn't even have any supplies for him, but, luckily, the SPCA had dog collars available, and they let me borrow a leash to take him to the car. The collar that I picked out had spades, hearts, clubs, and diamonds around it. I knew it was the one because my husband and I had just taken a trip to Las Vegas. It was perfect!

Ivan has turned out to be the most wonderful dog, and many times I have wondered what made him end up at the SPCA in the first place. It was all for the best though, because now he is our precious pup!

4 comments

  1. Ivan is adorable, it's fantastic that you rescued him, because there are so many wonderful animals that need adoption. Someday I will get a dog, but my cat Teddy keeps me pretty occupied these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! All of our pets are rescues in one way or another. Our two cats (Bandit and Stimpy) were discovered by my sons on my dad's property. Someone had abandoned them. :( My German Shorthair, Sasami belonged to my brother, who was not taking care of her, so I took over (and he gave her to me), and our painted turtle, Zombi, was left at a foreclosed house for two weeks without any care. It's such a great feeling to know you've given an animal a well-deserved second chance at life!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Powered by Blogger.