Decorate to Dream

September 15, 2011
I saw a blog post from A Few of My Favorite Things blog about the inspirations and ideas behind creating a room for her daughter and new baby boy, and was inspired to share my son's bedroom with you.

I love my son's bedroom. We painted it green because we had decided during pregnancy that we would not find out whether we were having a boy or a girl. Green is perfect because you can always add pops of any other colour, depending on the look you want to achieve. Everything looks good with green because green has always been the best background for the vibrant colours of nature.

I decided to decorate the room -- whether boy or girl -- without adding the gaudy baby items that people hang on the walls or from the ceiling. I wanted the room to grow with our baby without having to re-do everything every year as our child grows up. Less work for me= more enjoyment for everyone else.

I found an old Curious George book, and, sadly, destroyed it so that I could get my three favourite prints out of it to frame and hang on the wall. I went on a hunt for a mobile that wasn't a typical stuffed creature mobile that played music; I wanted our baby to be able to look up at it, watch it, and know what the objects were without looking at the mobile from the side. I found a wonderful paper bird mobile at our local bookstore; I fell in love with it instantly!

I still have many other pieces of artwork that I need to hang in his room, but at the moment I have a beautiful print of a hot air balloon that I found on Etsy. Next to it, I have hammered up the word "DREAM" so that he may always dream of doing great things no matter how unrealistic they may seem!

This is the first thing that I see when
I walk into my son's room.
I love this view!

 The vintage Curious George prints that I
have hanging about the change table.

The rocking chair was the rocking chair
that my mother used when I was
a baby. It was a gift to her from my father.
The stuffed dog was the first gift
I received from my husband
when we started dating :)

2 comments

  1. SO cute! I love decorating with meaningful items. That is awesome that you have that rocking chair from when you were a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jess! It really meant a lot to me when my mom said she would like to give me the rocking chair to use with my son.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Powered by Blogger.